Sunday, June 24, 2007

Snake Aversion Training

Snake aversion training is imperative to the life of your pet. I took my 4 remaining dogs this weekend.

After they had all encountered a rattlesnake, I was amazed at their reaction to the training.

My mastiff George acted like the snake did not exist, would not look at it, smell it or acknowledge just stood very close to me. The trainer had to bring the rattlesnake up to George's nose and zap him. The second time George was by my side when he got zapped and dragged me clear across the parking lot. George is 200 lbs. and when he is scarred there is no stopping him. I had to drag him back over to where the rattlesnake was to see if he got it. He did. He ran across the parking lot again dragging me with him.

My rhodesian ridgeback Mya walked over the rattlesnake and laid down next to as though it was not there, but was also very close to me. She paid no attention to it just to the trainer. Watched him like a hawk. She wouldn't go near him afterwards. Not sure if she will just bolt from trainers and rattlesnakes from now on. She finally got it and went and hide by my van with George.

My pug Bugsy who was cornered by a rattlesnake the week before walked right passed it also. Made no attempt to avoid it. When he got zapped, he jumped and screamed. They train by sight, sound and smell. When we got home, I thought Bugsy was bitten by a rattlesnake because he jumped and screamed when he was sniffing around outside. I could not find anything but I think he must have heard or smelled one. I rushed to get him and he was shaking but appeared to be okay.

My other pug Uno has to go in a couple of weeks because he was bitten last weekend and needs time to go through his medication. It is odd that he is afraid of my shed where he was bitten, but does not appear to be afraid of rattlesnakes. The trainer said that they just do not make the connection.

Since I lost my oldest pug Chase last weekend from the rattlesnake bite, it has made me much more aware of my ignorance regarding the desert I live in. I am trying to change that by educating myself of my surroundings in order to protect myself and my dogs.

The trainer said that my dogs acted like they did with the rattlesnake because we had a strong bond and they were looking to me for guidance and protection. Since I was not reacting neither were they. He said it would be much different when they are by themselves. I hope so because I am counting on this training to keep them alive.

No comments: